Monday, October 14, 2019

Post Skype - Theories And Frameworks

I 'sat out' most of this call, as nothing seemed to include me. Whilst I was listening, I glanced back at this topic from last term and I had had the same response. I am a singer in a band. I have studied some dance, so I know what others are talking about when they say Graham technique or Cunningham technique, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with my practice. If you want to sing in a band, you join one. That's it. No years of study, not actively anyway. Join a band and be a singer. And, abracadabra, that's what you are.

These days I could do a degree in being a singer in a band. I could achieve a BMus, a Modern Music degree. Part of my impetus for doing this course myself was that I wasn't sure students were getting a fair deal from their BMus and I wanted to do some lecturing. I wasn't considered because I didn't have a degree. I had 50 years' experience of singing in public, but no degree. I had been in the music business for 40 years, but no degree. I have gigged all over the UK, in Europe and in the USA, but no degree. I have seven gold and one silver record, but no degree. Alright then, I'll get a degree.

I can't imagine what 'rules' young vocalists are taught, but I had no teacher. Along the way I took a few singing lessons, just to 'make sure', but can't say I changed anything. I had probably learned more from doing youth theatre, where I learned to project my voice and stand in the light. Doing dance classes from an early age made me aware of where I was on stage, in relation to others, and to smile at the audience. That was all the stagecraft I started with.

Anyway, back to the Skype call. I managed to communicate to Helen that my practice has no predetermined theory or framework, so how could I apply this idea. She said what I do is intuitive and that, in itself, stands as a theory/framework. Hurrah! There are even books! An epiphany! I was, for most of the call, thinking here's an hour I'll never get back. So pleased I persevered and spoke up. Got one of the books. I'm a slow reader and I'm back on tour in three days, where it's always noisy, but I'll do my best.

Result!

2 comments:

  1. I heard the call back a few days ago and felt your struggle, and Im sure if you are coming at this from a different place when we constantly talk about our Practice in Dance it must seem like it certainly doesnt resonate with you. I am also interested in looking at intuitive practice. I really wish I had thought about that for the AOLS :) Im so pleased you have finally found theories that will help connect to how you have learned and become the singer you are today. What book did you get ?
    Enjoy the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello everyone..Welcome to my free masterclass strategy where i teach experience and inexperience traders the secret behind a successful trade.And how to be profitable in trading I will also teach you how to make a profit of $12,000 USD weekly and how to get back all your lost funds feel free to email me on( brucedavid004@gmail.com ) or whataspp number is +22999290178  





























    Hello everyone..Welcome to my free masterclass strategy where i teach experience and inexperience traders the secret behind a successful trade.And how to be profitable in trading I will also teach you how to make a profit of $12,000 USD weekly and how to get back all your lost funds feel free to email me on( brucedavid004@gmail.com ) or whataspp number is +22999290178  

    ReplyDelete