Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Module One Skype Sesh

I was asked to write about why blogs are important. Up until a few days ago, I felt they were a giant waste of time, especially my time. All seemed a bit too touchy feely - I'm notoriously bad at 'sharing', unless it's just sharing my opinion. I still struggle to read the long ones; even with the wizard 'read it for you' software, I still need the 'pay attention' software. However, when writing, I've managed to look at it like a scaled up Facebook post - something I also have to do which sometimes irritates. So, I'm trying to make sense, say what I mean, yet remain concise. I do the rambling and moaning in my Reflective Journal.

And so, why did I change my opinion somewhat? A couple of days ago there was another Skype session on knowing and learning. I wrote my blog quite quickly, so my reflections were immediate. I didn't read what anybody else had written first, so it contained only what had stayed with me personally. Then I read Helen's blog and commented after Jesse. This lead me to reading his blog, which, fortunately, contained all the information I had forgotten. I left a comment, explaining I, too, had looked up the new word 'ideokinetic'. I made a barely thought out comment and had a lightbulb moment. "Aha, that's why we do it!" The circle was squared, it all became clear, the scales fell from my eyes and various other tired analogies. The process had brought me to a point of understanding which would have evaded me, had I not been required to participate.

Further to this, Adesola explained that our blogs serve as source material for the Module One essay. They provide a commentary and document progress as we go further into this term's enquiry. States of mind, thoughts and ideas that otherwise may have been forgotten or overlooked are laid down and provide a sort of road map of our learning. Still struggling with the contemporary notion of 'learning' being a thing and not an action. It's a process.

I forwent my Jazz Tap class to join in. Somehow I didn't regret it. Hmmm...

5 comments:

  1. Ha so this is where I find you Madame Tristesse! I was looking for Rhoda! You make me smile in the sessions. Wish I could say something as interesting. Enjoyed your blog today. Correct me if I'm wrong but do I remember in the welcome blog that you did some work with singing and health?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie, thank you. I work for a project called Raw Sounds, for people using Mental Health Services. Here's a link: https://rawmusicmedia.co.uk/projects/rawsounds/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This looks great. In Cumbria we are just at the bottom rung of the ladder in trying get that cross over between arts and health. Obviously it will take some time. The NHS wheels work slowly but the response so far has been encouraging. I work on a project called Dance Recall. We work with Dementia patients encouraging movement using stories, verse, music and singing. The results are amazing and they are a beautiful bunch of people.

      Delete
  3. Hi Rhoda, great post! Great to hear your observations, I’m with on the ‘learning being a thing’...thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello everyone..Welcome to my free masterclass strategy where i teach experience and inexperience traders the secret behind a successful trade.And how to be profitable in trading I will also teach you how to make a profit of $12,000 USD weekly and how to get back all your lost funds feel free to email me on(brucedavid004@gmail.com) or whataspp number is +22999290178

    ReplyDelete