Sunday, February 10, 2019

Thoughts On Knowing And Learning, Post Skype

Most of this evening's conversation was about language. How we use language to describe our practice and thus explain it to others. We touched on academic language and how it might differ from that which we usually use to describe things. It was agreed, broadly, that there is academic convention and this is something we would have to honour in form, at least. However, I felt that as we are post graduate students, it behoves us to begin to find our own definitions of what such language could be. We can change it. We can make our own impact on what has gone before, both in terms of an agreed body of knowledge and the language used to describe it. I do not fear forging my own path, I merely have to make the argument that this path is both right and worthwhile.

When we write as academics, we are largely addressing other academics. I gather that is part of the convention. Therefore, does what we write need to be useful to those outside the halls of academe? Is this a purely internal dialogue? I would say yes and no. In that we are adding to a body of knowledge that, together, may unlock further ideas, then yes. However, as we are seeking to describe our own practice with reference to its effect on, or communication with others, then no. In short, as I come to verbalise what it is I do, my understanding and effectiveness may well grow as a result. This would be particularly useful when I teach. Having the language at hand, instead of trying to reach for it, could shorten the process. All conjecture, of course.

We didn't talk too much about learning. My theory is that learning is both active and passive. As we interact with the world, we cannot help but learn new things. This I would call passive learning. Active learning is, for me, when I pick up a book, go to a class, or just ask a question and receive or search out a response. It was agreed that learning changes us in some way, even if we are not aware of this.

Forgive me if there were other things which I have now forgotten. Forgive me for all that I do not know or understand.

Forgive.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the recap! Post-grad. I have never graduated form anything before (hehe). Professional dance training isn't recognized in Canada unfortunately.

    Also could you please add a button, or method to subscribe to your blog? it would make it much easier to communicate without having to memorize the blog URL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhoda,
    Nice blog! It's great for me to consider more about the 'active vs passive' Although I think I am an active teacher so thanks for some food for thought. I think the points you brought up which led Helen coming in really helped. I am an academic just not a stereotypical one. I'm gonna ponder on all our convo from last night and write up my blog. Thanks again for your input and views.

    Jade :)

    ReplyDelete